Thursday, June 4, 2009

Discoveries Worth Sharing: There-a-Mims



I chanced upon this one-hit wonder jam in my iTunes today. I suppose I had never truly given it a fair listen in the past, but I had remember reading about how clever the references to individual hip-hop subgenres were (chopped & screwed, hyphy, LA gangsta rap, etc), so I just let it play.

What I hadn't realized before is that there's a theremin sample in it! You can hear it in the very beginning (0:11), but it's most prominent before the chorus begins (1:24) and later in the song. In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, explore the video below.



While the instrument has mostly been confined to '40s & '50s Sci-Fi flicks, it has also made its way into popular songs like, "Good Vibrations" (which used an electro-theremin) and "Whole Lotta Love."





Now I have a positive impression of this song instead of a soul-crushing contempt! Thanks Mims!

No comments: